Monday, April 23, 2007

Baseball in perspective


It's no surprise that I am a big New York Yankees fan. I love the history, the success, the legacy, and the entertainment value of the Bronx Bombers. Babe Ruth to me is the best ballplayer of all time. Nobody had more of an impact on the game than George Herman "Babe" Ruth. The Bambino is Americana all in one. He partied hard, he womanized, he did charity work, and best of all, he crushed a lot of baseballs (wasn't too bad of a pitcher either). He was the original sports icon. I love him and everything he stood for.

As I watch the Yanks try and mount a rally in the top of the 9th in Tampa Bay down 10-6 (the game right after the 3 game sweep at the hands of the Red Sox in Boston), as I grit my teeth in disgust at the fact that the Devil Rays have 10 runs to begin with, as I feel momentary anger over another loss early in the season, I suddenly catch myself. It's just a game, and I have no control over the outcome. I just root like an idiot and get euphoric with each win and slightly bummed over losses. GAME UPDATE: The Devil Rays beat the Yankees 10-8. The problem isn't the Yankee bats, it's the pitching. With most of the rotation on the DL, the depth has pretty much shrunk. These things happen. Any true baseball fan knows you just have to hang around until July, then anything can happen. Hopefully, this will wake them up a bit. But overall, it's just a game. I get no Yankee prize in the mail when they win and I don't slit my wrists when they lose. I simply put it in it's proper perspective. IT'S JUST A GAME!


No comments: