Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mets 3, Yankees 2


BAMBINO: Honestly, this doesn't bother me. This was the first game I actually watched all 9 innings, and it was a good game despite the Yankees losing. It was done in 2 hours and 18 minutes, it was low scoring, and both pitchers went deep into the game. One pitch made the difference. Willie Randolph has to be the best manager in baseball outside of Joe Torre. Willie was having Endy Chavez bunt with Paul LoDuca on 2nd in the 5th. Then, he took the bunt sign off. Andy Pettitte who was pitching masterfully, laid one in there expecting the bunt and Chavez swung away. It looked like he didn't get all of it, but the ball carried over the right center field wall to give the Mets the lead for good. The Mets bullpen did the rest.

Endy Chavez also threw out Johnny Damon in the 1st inning as he tried to stretch a single into a double. It might have stopped a big inning by the Yanks who are really cold at the plate. No one is hitting for the Yankees right now. They wasted a great outing by Pettitte and now are 10 games behind the Red Sox, the largest deficit in the Joe Torre era. They don't have time to feel sorry for themselves as they play this afternoon. Of course, I got my "courtesy" phone calls from my Met fan pals who did nothing but mention the Yankees in their tirades against me. I just laughed and said "That was a great baseball game." I went into my local bagel shop this morning to the "harrassment" of the Met fan that owns it. He's a nice guy, but is definitely obessesed with the Yankees.

Oh well, they play today on FOX this afternoon, which means I don't watch (I can't stomach the idiots that call the game). I listen. I will sit in my backyard, drink some cold beer, and listen to Ma and Pa Sterling on the radio call the action. Darrell Rasner goes to the hill for the Yanks and the crafty veteran Tom Glavine for the Metropolitans. Yanks need to wake up offensively or it might be a long season.

FULL STORY
BOX SCORE:

No comments: