Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Red Sox 7, Yankees 3


Moose, Yankees take step back
Right-hander roughed up as Bombers' winning streak ends
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Mike Mussina's ongoing torment boils down to this: the calendar keeps moving forward, while he doesn't appear to be.

Mussina's underwhelming season continued in a 7-3 Yankees loss to the Red Sox on Tuesday, as the right-hander surrendered all of Boston's runs -- including home runs by Manny Ramirez and Mike Lowell.

The feelings Mussina is going through, he said, is one of depression, frustration and disappointment. Certainly, there is confusion mixed in. No matter its cause, it has to stop, he vowed.

"I'm getting tired of feeling that way," Mussina said. "Sooner or later here, I'm going to have to figure out what's going on, because I can't keep pitching like this and I certainly don't want to pitch like this. It's not what we need. I can't stand it, so I have to get to work and figure this out."

From the beginning, the 2007 season hasn't played up to expectations for Mussina, who rattled off 15 wins and a 3.51 ERA for the Yankees last year.

His Spring Training was riddled with bouts of inconsistency, and once the calendar flipped ahead to April, Mussina made just two starts before his left hamstring gave out in a start at Minnesota, costing him three weeks.

Mussina reported progress in starts three and four of the season after returning from the disabled list, twice defeating the Rangers, but his struggles began anew in a rain-necessitated doubleheader last week in Chicago.

"Coming off of the DL, I threw really well and I felt like I knew what I was doing and where the ball was going," Mussina said. "Now, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing or where the ball is going.

FULL STORY:

BOX SCORE:

No comments: